from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A clarified semifluid butter used especially in Indian cooking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of clarified butter used in South Asian cooking; usli ghee.
- n. vegetable oil for cooking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Butter clarified by boiling, and thus converted into a kind of oil.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the East Indies, a liquid clarified butter made from the milk of cows and buffaloes, coagulated before churning.
- n. The solid fat obtained from the seeds of Madhuca butyracea, a tree found in northern India. It is used as a food, and also for an ointment, and in making soap and candles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. clarified butter used in Indian cookery
Hindi ghī, from Sanskrit ghṛtam.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hindustani घी (ghī) / گھی, from Sanskrit घृतं (ghṛta.n), sprinkled (Wiktionary)