from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of double.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of one that doubles; a making double; reduplication; also, that which is doubled.
- n. A turning and winding; ; shift; trick; artifice.
- n. The lining of the mantle borne about the shield or escutcheon.
- n. The process of redistilling spirits, to improve the strength and flavor.
- n. raising the stakes in a game, such as a card game or backgammon, by a factor of 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something doubled or folded over; a fold; a plait; specifically (nautical), the doubled edge or skirt of a sail.
- n. That the addition of which makes double.
- n. pl Naut., that part of a mast included between the trestletrees and the cap.
- n. The second distillation of wine.
- n. The act of marching at the double-quick.
- n. In botany, same as chorisis.
- Shifting; manœuvering.
- n. In textile-manuf., any process of combining two (or more) slivers and drawing them into a single sliver of smaller size than any of the separate ones, for the purpose of making more uniform roving.
- n. In weaving, the process of winding two threads or rovings upon a spool or bobbin.
- n. In biology, same as reduplication: said of the chromosomes and centrosomes of the cell when they undergo fission.
- n. In bridge, the act of doubling the value of the trick points after the dealer's side has declared. See bridge.
- n. In the production of metallic antimony from its ore, the remelting of the singles, or lumps of crude metal first obtained, and the mixing, in due proportion, of those containing surplus iron and those containing unseparated sulphur. The product of this second fusion is called bowl-metal because poured out into and solidified in a bowl of cast-iron.
- n. In bookbinding, the thickening of the covers of a book by the addition of thick paper or thin boards.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. increase by a factor of two
- n. raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
Sorry, no etymologies found.