from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A short-lived thing.
- n. Printed matter of passing interest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. something short lived or transitory
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the ephemeral flies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An insect which lives but for a day or for a very short time; hence, any being whose existence is very brief.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. anything short-lived, as an insect that lives only for a day in its winged form
Greek ephēmeron, mayfly, from neuter of ephēmeros, daily, short-lived; see ephemeral.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek eph- + ἡμέρα (hēmerā, "day"). (Wiktionary)