from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or associated with letters or the writing of letters.
- adj. Being in the form of a letter: epistolary exchanges.
- adj. Carried on by or composed of letters: an epistolary friendship.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or relating to letters, or the writing of letters
- adj. carried on by written correspondence
- adj. in the manner of written correspondence
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to epistles or letters; suitable to letters and correspondence.
- adj. Contained in letters; carried on by letters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to epistles or letters; suitable to letters and correspondence; familiar: as, an epistolary style.
- Contained in letters; carried on by letters.
- n. A book formerly in use in the Western Church, containing the liturgical epistles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. written in the form of or carried on by letters or correspondence
From Latin epistolāris, from epistola, epistle; see epistle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1650s, from French épistolaire, from Latin epistolaris, from Latin epistola ("letter") (English epistle), from Ancient Greek ἐπιστολή (epistolē) from ἐπιστέλλω (epistellō, "I send a message") from ἐπί (epi, "upon") + στέλλω (stellō, "I prepare, send"). (Wiktionary)