from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brass wind instrument similar to the tuba but having a somewhat higher pitch and a mellower sound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bass instrument of the saxhorn family.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A musical instrument, consisting of a set of glass tubes, connected with graduated steel bars, to be put in vibration by the moistened finger: invented by Chladni in 1790.
- n. A musical instrument, the lowest or bass of the saxhorn family, having a compass of about three octaves upward from the second C below middle C. Its tone is powerful, but unsympathetic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bass horn (brass wind instrument) that is the tenor of the tuba family
From Greek euphōnos, sweet-voiced; see euphony.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek εὔφωνος (euphōnos). (Wiktionary)