from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A movement in the arts during the early part of the 20th century that emphasized subjective expression of the artist's inner experiences.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A movement in the arts in which the artist did not depict objective reality, but rather a subjective expression of their inner experiences
- n. A somewhat analogous genre in early 20th century music
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an art movement early in the 20th century; the artist's subjective expression of inner experiences was emphasized.
- n. a genre of German painting that tried to show the subjective responses to scenes rather than the scenes themselves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The methods or style of the expressionists.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an art movement early in the 20th century; the artist's subjective expression of inner experiences was emphasized; an inner feeling was expressed through a distorted rendition of reality
Sorry, no etymologies found.