from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music A loud flourish of brass instruments, especially trumpets.
- n. A spectacular public display.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flourish of trumpets or horns as to announce; a short and lively air performed on hunting horns during the chase.
- n. A show of ceremony or celebration.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flourish of trumpets, as in coming into the lists, etc.; also, a short and lively air performed on hunting horns during the chase.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flourish of trumpets, either in hunting, in martial assemblages, or in the course of a musical work; a noisy flourish.
- n. Hence An ostentatious parade or boast; bravado.
- n. In bookbinding, an erratic or eccentric style of decoration which purposely avoids regular or geometrical design.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gaudy outward display
- n. (music) a short lively tune played on brass instruments
French, possibly of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)