from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A card game in which the players lay wagers on the top card of the dealer's pack.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A banking game at cards, in which all the other players play against the dealer or banker, who draws from a dealing box.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A gambling game at cards, in which all the other players play against the dealer or banker, staking their money upon the order in which the cards will lie and be dealt from the pack.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game played by betting on the order in which certain playing-cards (with reference simply to face-value) will appear when taken singly from the top of the pack.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a card game in which players bet against the dealer on the cards he will draw from a dealing box
Alteration of Pharaoh.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Presumably an alteration of pharaon, itself a transcription of French pharaon, perhaps as a name for the King of Hearts. (Wiktionary)