from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An outdoor game in which the players drive wooden balls through a series of wickets using long-handled mallets.
- n. The act of driving away an opponent's croquet ball by hitting one's own ball when the two are in contact.
- transitive v. To drive away (an opponent's croquet ball) by hitting one's own ball when the two are in contact.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A game played on a lawn, in which players use mallets to drive balls through hoops (wickets).
- n. A shot in this game in which the striker's ball and another ball are moved by hitting the striker's ball when they have been placed in contact following a roquet.
- n. A croquette.
- v. To play a shot in the game of croquet in which the striker's ball and another ball are moved by hitting the striker's ball when they have been placed in contact following a roquet.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An open-air game in which two or more players endeavor to drive wooden balls, by means of mallets, through a series of hoops or arches set in the ground according to some pattern.
- n. The act of croqueting.
- transitive v. In the game of croquet, to drive away an opponent's ball, after putting one's own in contact with it, by striking one's own ball with the mallet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game played on a lawn or a prepared piece of ground, with mallets, balls, pegs or posts, and a number of iron hoops or arches arranged in a certain order.
- n. In the game of croquet, the act of a player, upon hitting a second ball with his own, of driving that one away by a stroke on his own, which he holds firmly with his foot, after he has placed the two in contact.
- In the game of croquet, to drive off by a croquet, as an adversary's ball. See croquet, n., 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. drive away by hitting with one's ball,
- v. play a game in which players hit a wooden ball through a series of hoops
- n. a game in which players hit a wooden ball through a series of hoops; the winner is the first to traverse all the hoops and hit a peg
French dialectal, hockey stick, from Old North French, shepherd's crook; see crocket.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)