from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A small bundle.
  • noun One of the parts of a book published in separate sections.
  • noun Botany A bundle or cluster of stems, flowers, or leaves.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A bundle; a small collection or connected group; a cluster.
  • noun In mosses, the tissue of elongated cells taking the place of fibrovascular bundles in the nerves, etc.
  • noun In zoology and anatomy, a fasciculus.
  • noun A part of a printed work: a small number of printed or written sheets bound together. Also, in all senses, fasciculus.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A small bundle or collection; a compact cluster.
  • noun One of the divisions of a book published in parts; fasciculus.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A bundle or cluster.
  • noun anatomy : A bundle of skeletal muscle fibers surrounded by connective tissue.
  • noun botany : A cluster of flowers or leaves, such as the bundles of the thin leaves (or needles) of pines.
  • noun botany : A discrete bundle of vascular tissue.
  • noun A discrete section of a book issued or published separately.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a bundle of fibers (especially nerve fibers)
  • noun an installment of a printed work


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Latin fasciculus, diminutive of fascis, bundle.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Latin fasciculus, a diminutive of fascis ‘bundle’ (see also fasces).


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word fascicle.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • also fascicule.

    July 24, 2008

  • My favorite definition, from botany (taken from the OED) is:

    "A cluster of leaves or flowers with very short stalks growing closely together at the base; a tuft. Also, a bunch of roots growing from one point."

    Note that it has also been spelled: fasickle

    September 27, 2008