from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Bringing something good and unforeseen; auspicious.
- adj. Having unexpected good fortune; lucky. See Synonyms at happy.
- n. One who has good fortune, especially a wealthy person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Coming by good luck or favorable chance.
- adj. Bringing some good thing not foreseen as certain.
- adj. Presaging happiness.
- adj. Auspicious.
- adj. Receiving some unforeseen or unexpected good, or some good which was not dependent on one's own skill or efforts.
- adj. Lucky, favored by fortune.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Coming by good luck or favorable chance; bringing some good thing not foreseen as certain; presaging happiness; auspicious
- adj. Receiving same unforeseen or unexpected good, or some good which was not dependent on one's own skill or efforts; favored with good forune; lucky.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having good fortune; receiving good from uncertain or unexpected sources; lucky.
- Bringing or presaging good fortune; resulting favorably, as something uncertain; having a happy issue; auspicious; felicitous: as, a fortunate speculation; a fortunate accident.
- Synonyms Felicitous, Lucky, etc. (See happy.) Fortunate, Successful, Prosperous, favored. Fortunate implies the attainment of success more by the operation of favorable circumstances, or through accident, than by direct effort; successful denotes that effective effort has been made; prosperous has nearly the same meaning as successful, but does not at all emphasize the effort made, and applies rather to a series of things than to a single event. We say a fortunate gambler, a successful merchant, a prosperous line of business.
- n. In astrology, a favorable planet. Nares. See extract under fortitude, 3.
- To make fortunate; prosper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. presaging good fortune
- adj. supremely favored
- adj. having unexpected good fortune
Latin fortūnātus, from fortūna, chance; see fortune.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)