from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of fostering another's child as if it were your own.
- n. A condition of being the foster child.
- n. Promoting or encouragement given by act or word.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The care of a foster child; the charge of nursing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of fostering, nursing:, or nourishing; specifically, the rearing of another's child as one's own, in the relation of foster-parent and foster-child.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. helping someone grow up to be an accepted member of the community
- n. encouragement; aiding the development of something
Sorry, no etymologies found.