from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who has been freed from slavery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man who has been released from a condition of slavery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man who has been a slave, and has been set free.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man who has been a slave and is manumitted or otherwise set free: as, the freedmen of ancient Rome; the class of freedmen created by the abolition of slavery.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who has been freed from slavery
From freed + man. (Wiktionary)