from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who provides bond or surety for another.
- n. A male bondservant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A male slave.
- n. A male indentured servant.
- n. Someone who signs a bond that states that they have taken responsibility for someone else's obligations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A slave; a villain; a serf; a bondman.
- n. A surety; one who is bound, or who gives security, for another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In law, a surety; one who is bound or who by bond becomes surety for another.
- n. Same as bondman, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a male slave
- n. someone who signs a bond as surety for someone else
- n. a male bound to serve without wages
bonds + -man (Wiktionary)