from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that underwrites, especially:
- n. A person or firm engaged in the insurance business.
- n. An insurance agent who assesses the risk of enrolling an applicant for coverage or a policy.
- n. One that guarantees the purchase of a full issue of stocks or bonds.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An entity assuming a financial risk.
- n. A person working for an insurance company who arranges and authorizes an insurance policy with a broker or insured.
- n. An entity undertaking to market newly issued securities.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who underwrites his name to the conditions of an insurance policy, especially of a marine policy; an insurer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who insures, or carries on a business of insurance, especially of marine insurance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an agent who sells insurance
- n. a financial institution that sells insurance
- n. a banker who deals chiefly in underwriting new securities
Sorry, no etymologies found.