from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ornamental work consisting of three-dimensional frets; geometric openwork.
- n. Such ornamental work represented two dimensionally by chiaroscuro.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. ornamental woodwork either carved in low relief or cut through with a fretsaw
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Work adorned with frets; ornamental openwork or work in relief, esp. when elaborate and minute in its parts. Hence, any minute play of light and shade, dark and light, or the like.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Ornamental work consisting of a series or combination of frets; ornamental work with interlacing parts; especially, work in which the design is formed by perforation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. framework consisting of an ornamental design made of strips of wood or metal
Sorry, no etymologies found.