from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Sooty.
- adj. Colored by or as if by soot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to soot; sooty; dark; dusky.
- adj. Pertaining to smoke; resembling smoke.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or having the color of soot; sooty.
- Pertaining to smoke; resembling smoke; dusky.
- Specifically, in zoöl, and botany, very dark, opaque brown; of the color of soot.
Late Latin fūlīginōsus, from Latin fūlīgō, fūlīgin-, soot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin fūlīginōsus, from fūlīgo ("soot"). (Wiktionary)