from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A unit for measuring distance, equal to 1/8 mile (201 meters). See Table at measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A unit of length equal to 220 yards or exactly 201.168 meters, now only used in measuring distances in horse-racing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A measure of length; the eighth part of a mile; forty rods; two hundred and twenty yards.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A measure of length equal to the eighth part of a mile, 40 rods, poles, or perches, 220 yards, or 201.17 meters.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a unit of length equal to 220 yards
Middle English, from Old English furlang : furh, furrow + lang, long; see long1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)