from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A slave or convict forced to ply an oar of a galley.
- n. A person assigned to perform tedious or menial tasks; a drudge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A slave who rows in a galley.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a person condemned, often as a punishment for crime, to work at the oar on board a galley.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person condemned for a crime to work at the oar on board a galley.
- n. A compositor, jocosely regarded as bound to the “galley.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a laborer who is obliged to do menial work
- n. a slave condemned to row in a galley
Sorry, no etymologies found.