from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A loose high-necked blouse styled after the red shirts worn by Garibaldi and his soldiers.
- n. A bright orange or yellow-orange damselfish (Hypsypops rubicundus) native to coastal marine waters of southern California.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a biscuit consisting of currants squashed between layers of flaky pastry.
- n. A bright yellow/orange damselfish, of the genus Hypsypops, from the seas of southern California.
- n. A jacket worn by women; so called from its resemblance in shape to the red shirt worn by the Italian patriot Garibaldi.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A jacket worn by women; -- so called from its resemblance in shape to the red shirt worn by the Italians patriot Garibaldi.
- n. A California market fish (Pomancentrus rubicundus) of a deep scarlet color.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A loose shirt-waist worn by women and children in place of the ordinary body of a dress.
- n. A Californian pomacentrid fish, Hypsypops rubicundus, about a foot long: so called, on account of its red or orange color, by the Italian fishermen in California. Also called goldfish and red-perch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a loose high-necked blouse with long sleeves; styled after the red flannel shirts worn by Garibaldi's soldiers
- n. Italian patriot whose conquest of Sicily and Naples led to the formation of the Italian state (1807-1882)
After Giuseppe Garibaldi.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)