from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The rank, office, or tenure of a general.
- n. Leadership or skill in the conduct of a war.
- n. Skillful management or leadership.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a ship not chartered or let to particular parties.
- n. The office of a general; the exercise of the functions of a general; -- sometimes, with the possessive pronoun, the personality of a general.
- n. Military skill in a general officer or commander.
- n. Fig.: Leadership; management.
- n. See under General.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office of a general.
- n. The management of an army; the military skill or conduct of a commander.
- n. Hence Management or tactics generally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the office and authority of a general
- n. the leadership ability of a military general
From general + -ship. (Wiktionary)