from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nobleman of the highest rank in Spain or Portugal.
- n. Used as the title for such a nobleman.
- n. A person of eminence or high rank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person of high rank
- n. a high ranking nobleman in Spain or Portugal
- n. the title for a high ranking nobleman in Spain or Portugal
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man of elevated rank or station; a nobleman. In Spain, a nobleman of the first rank, who may be covered in the king's presence.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Spain, one of a class of noblemen of the highest rank and greatest wealth, created in the thirteenth century, and endowed with extraordinary privileges, most of which have since been abolished.
- n. Hence Any man of elevated rank or station; a nobleman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a nobleman of highest rank in Spain or Portugal
Spanish grande, from Latin grandis, great.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin grandis ("large, great"). (Wiktionary)