from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Offensive A person of mixed racial descent, especially a person of Native American and white parentage.
- adj. Half-blooded; hybrid. Used of animals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of mixed racial parentage or ancestry, especially one of mixed white and American Indian parentage.
- adj. having one purebred parent; hybrid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Half-blooded.
- n. A person who is half-blooded; the offspring of parents of different races, especially of the American Indian and the white race.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is half-blooded; one descended from parents or ancestors of different races: specifically applied to persons descended from certain races of different physical characteristics, as the offspring of American Indians and whites.
- n. In United States politics, a member of a faction in the Republican party in the State of New York, in 1881 and the years immediately following, which opposed the portion of the party in that State which had control of the party organization: so called in derision, as being but half Republican, by the members of the opposite faction or “stalwarts.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of animals) having only one purebred parent
- n. an offensive term for an offspring of parents of different races (especially of Caucasian and American Indian ancestry)
half- + breed (Wiktionary)