from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ground meat, usually beef.
- n. A patty of such meat.
- n. A sandwich made with a patty of ground meat usually in a roll or bun.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hot sandwich consisting of a patty of cooked ground beef, in a sliced bun, sometimes also containing salad vegetables, condiments, or both.
- n. The patty used in such a sandwich.
- n. Ground beef, especially that intended to be made into hamburgers.
- n. An animal or human, or the flesh thereof, that has been badly injured as a result of an accident or conflict.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sandwich consisting of a fried cake of minced beef served on a bun, often with other ingredients
- n. beef that has been ground
Short for Hamburger steak, after Hamburg .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German Hamburger, the adjectival form of Hamburg. (Wiktionary)