from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An opening in the bow of a ship through which a cable or hawser is passed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The hole through which a ship's anchor rope is passed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a hole in the bow of a ship, through which the anchor rope or cable passes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cylindrical hole in the bow of a ship through which a cable is passed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the hole that an anchor rope passes through
Sorry, no etymologies found.