from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being hesitant.
- n. An instance of hesitating.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pausing or halting before beginning a task, often as a result of some fear or uncertainty about the outcome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of hesitating, or pausing to consider; slowness in deciding; vacillation; also, the manner of one who hesitates.
- n. A stammering; a faltering in speech.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or condition of hesitating; indecision; vacillation.
- n. Synonyms See hesitation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a feeling of diffidence and indecision about doing something
- n. a certain degree of unwillingness
hesitant + -cy (Wiktionary)