from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The headscarf worn by Muslim women, sometimes including a veil that covers the face except for the eyes.
- n. The institution of protection of women in some Islamic societies through veiling or seclusion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The veil worn by women beyond the age of puberty in front of non-related adult males.
- n. The hajib headscarf.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the custom in some Islamic societies of women dressing modestly outside the home
- n. a headscarf worn by Muslim women; conceals the hair and neck and usually has a face veil that covers the face
Arabic ḥijāb, curtain, veil, from ḥajaba, to cover; see ḥgb in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic حجب (ħájaba, "to veil, to cover, to screen"). (Wiktionary)