from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Concern for human welfare, especially as manifested through philanthropy.
- n. The belief that the sole moral obligation of humankind is the improvement of human welfare.
- n. Theology The doctrine holding that Jesus was human only and not divine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Humanitarian philosophy or practice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The distinctive tenet of the humanitarians in denying the divinity of Christ; also, the whole system of doctrine based upon this view of Christ.
- n. The doctrine that man's obligations are limited to, and dependent alone upon, man and the human relations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In theology, the doctrine that Jesus Christ possessed a human nature only.
- n. The doctrine that mankind may become perfect without divine aid.
- n. The doctrine that benevolence or philanthropy forms the sum of man's duties.
- n. Humane or humanitarian principles; comprehensive humanism or philanthropy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the doctrine that people's duty is to promote human welfare
humanitarian + -ism (Wiktionary)