from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make or become incandescent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To cause to be (or to become) incandescent, especially by the application of heat
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To glow with heat; be or become incandescent.
- To cause to glow or become incandescent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cause to become incandescent or glow
- v. become incandescent or glow with heat
Latin incandēscere, to glow : in-, intensive pref.; see in-2 + candēscere, to glow, inchoative of candēre, to shine; see kand- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)