from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large drinking bowl.
- n. The amount that such a bowl contains.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a large vessel for drinking
- n. the contents or quantity of the contents of such a vessel
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large drinking vessel; also, its contents.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bowl or drinking-vessel with liquor in it; also, the contents of such a vessel: as, to mix a, jorum of punch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large drinking bowl
Perhaps after Joram, who brought vessels of silver, gold, and brass to King David (II Samuel 8:10).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Perhaps from the Biblical Joram who "brought with him vessels of silver, and vessels of gold, and vessels of brass" Samuel II 8:10 Or perhaps from the Arabic "djara", which means "clay vase with a large opening". (Wiktionary)