from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To spray or sprinkle.
- transitive v. To introduce air or gas into (a liquid).
- n. A sprinkle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To sprinkle or spray
- v. To introduce bubbles into a liquid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To sprinkle; to moisten by sprinkling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To sprinkle; scatter.
- To throw water upon in a shower of small drops. See sparger.
- n. In brewing, the spray of heated water which is thrown upon malt in the preparation of ‘wort.’
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. agitate by introducing air or compressed gas
- v. scatter with liquid; wet lightly
- n. the act of sprinkling or splashing water
Obsolete French espargier, from Old French, from Latin spargere.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)