from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tall structure topped by a powerful light used as a beacon or signal to aid marine navigation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A building, usually a tower, containing a light to warn or guide ships.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A tower or other building with a powerful light at top, erected at the entrance of a port, or at some important point on a coast, to serve as a guide to mariners at night; a pharos.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tower or other structure exhibiting a light or lights, for the purpose of indicating the presence of rocks, shoals, or other dangers to navigation, or for the guidance of mariners when approaching or sailing along a coast, entering a harbor, or navigating a river or other body of water.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tower with a light that gives warning of shoals to passing ships
light + house (Wiktionary)