from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that marks or serves as a mark, as:
- n. A bookmark.
- n. A tombstone.
- n. A milestone.
- n. An implement, especially a felt-tipped pen, used for marking or writing.
- n. One who marks objects, especially for industrial purposes.
- n. One who grades student papers.
- n. Sports A device, such as a line, stake, or flag, set on a playing field and showing the playing or scoring position.
- n. Sports A player who guards an opponent, as in soccer.
- n. Sports An official in certain court games, such as squash, who mainly judges whether the ball is out of play and whether a fault or let has occurred.
- n. Games One that keeps score in various games.
- n. Games A score in a game.
- n. Slang A written, signed promissory note.
- n. A genetic marker.
- n. Medicine A physiological substance, such as human chorionic gonadotropin or alpha-fetoprotein, that when present in abnormal amounts in the serum may indicate the presence of disease, as that caused by a malignancy. Also called biomarker.
- n. Linguistics An element that indicates grammatical class or function; a derivational or inflectional morpheme.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An object used to mark a location.
- n. Someone or something that marks.
- n. A felt-tipped pen.
- n. A signed note of a debt to be paid.
- n. A nonmonetary debt owed to someone, especially in return for a favor.
- n. A device that fires a paintball
- n. A defending player who stays close to an opponent in order to mark them.
- v. To mark or write on (something) using a marker
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who keeps account of a game played, as of billiards.
- n. A counter used in card playing and other games.
- n. The soldier who forms the pilot of a wheeling column, or marks the direction of an alignment.
- n. An attachment to a sewing machine for marking a line on the fabric by creasing it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which marks.
- n. A counter used in card-playing.
- n. One who marks or notices; a close observer; hence, rarely, a marksman.
- n. In agriculture, some implement used for tracing lines on the ground, as the position to be occupied by a row of plants or hills, or the like.
- n. In a sewing-machine, an attachment for making upon the cloth, as it passes the needle, a slight crease that may serve as a guide for folding a tuck, or for another line of stitching; a tuck-creaser.
- n. A pen or stylus used for marking or recording.
- n. Specifically, a counter (an oblong piece of bone) used in faro.
- n. At poker, any object placed upon the table to show that a player who has no chips is still in the pool: sometimes used in table-stakes to indicate that the player is supposed to have as much money in front of him as any other person at the table.
- n. In railroading, a flag, lamp, or other signal placed upon an engine or train, or upon an electric car, to indicate its character, destination, etc. The green flag at the end of a train is a marker, as is also a red tail-light, or an extra light upon a locomotive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a writing implement for making a mark
- n. some conspicuous object used to distinguish or mark something
- n. a distinguishing symbol
Sorry, no etymologies found.