from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who engraves
- n. A tool used in this process
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who engraves; a person whose business it is to produce engraved work, especially on metal or wood.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who engraves; especially, an artist who produces ornaments, patterns, or representations of objects by means of incisions on a hard surface; specifically, one who produces such designs with a view to the taking from them of impressions in printers' ink or other pigment.
- n. A tool used in engraving; a triangular rod of steel, of different widths, with a plow-shaped point, pushed forward to make a furrow on the surface of wood or metal that is being engraved.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a printmaker who prints from an engraved printing plate
- n. a skilled worker who can inscribe designs or writing onto a surface by carving or etching
Sorry, no etymologies found.