from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that makes, trims, designs, or sells hats.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is involved in the manufacture, design, or sale of hats for women.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Formerly, a man who imported and dealt in small articles of a miscellaneous kind, especially such as please the fancy of women.
- n. A person who designs, makes, trims, or deals in hats, bonnets, headdresses, etc., for women.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Formerly, a man who dealt in articles for women's wear; according to Johnson, “one who sells ribands and dresses for women”; now, in common usage, a woman who makes and sells bonnets and other head-gear for women; also, in England, one who furnishes both bonnets and dresses, or complete outfits.
- n. Formerly, one who made or sold armor of Milan; hence, a dealer in armor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who makes and sells hats
Probably alteration of Middle English Milener, native of Milan, from Milan , the source of goods such as bonnets and lace.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)