from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A British sailor.
- n. Slang An English person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Resembling limes (the fruit), lime-like.
- adj. Of, or pertaining to, limes (the fruit).
- n. An Englishman or other Briton, or a person of British descent.
Short for lime juicer (from the use of lime juice on British warships in order to prevent scurvy).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From 18th and 19th century British sailors drinking lime juice to ward off scurvy (Wiktionary)