from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who navigates.
- n. A device that directs the course of an aircraft or missile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person who navigates, especially an officer with that responsibility on a ship or an aircrew member with that responsibility on an aircraft
- n. a sea explorer
- n. a device that navigates an aircraft, automobile or missile
- n. : a labourer on an engineering project such as a canal; a navvy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who navigates or sails; esp., one who direct the course of a ship, or one who is skillful in the art of navigation; also, a book which teaches the art of navigation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who navigates or sails; especially, one who directs the course of a ship, or is skilful in the art of navigation.
- n. A laborer on a “navigation” or canal (see navigation, 4), or on a railway. Now usually abbreviated navvy (see navvy).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ship's officer in charge of navigation
- n. in earlier times, a person who explored by ship
- n. the member of an aircrew who is responsible for the aircraft's course
Sorry, no etymologies found.