from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One, especially a detective, who investigates.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who investigates.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who searches diligently into a subject.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who investigates or makes careful research.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who investigates
- n. a police officer who investigates crimes
- n. a scientist who devotes himself to doing research
Attested in the mid‐16th Century CE; from Latin investigator, from investigare. (Wiktionary)