from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A piece of magnetite that has magnetic properties and attracts iron or steel.
- n. One that attracts strongly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A naturally occurring magnet.
- n. The mineral magnetite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as loadstone.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A variety of magnetite, or the magnetic oxid of iron, which possesses polarity and has the power of attracting fragments of iron. See magnet.
- n. A leading-stone for drains.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a permanent magnet consisting of magnetite that possess polarity and has the power to attract as well as to be attracted magnetically
Middle English lode, way; see lode + stone (from its use by sailors to show the way).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
First attested from 1515, from Middle English lode ("guide") + stone. From use as a guide tool by mariners. See also: lodestar. (Wiktionary)