from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiastolite.
- n. A twinned crystal.
- n. A dark spot or discoloration in a mineral.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Chiastolite; -- so called from the tessellated appearance of a cross section. See chiastolite.
- n. A crystal having a similar tessellated appearance.
- n. A twin crystal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as mackle.
- n. In mineralogy
- n. A kind of twin crystal. See twin.
- n. Chiastolite, cross-stone, or hollow spar, a variety of andalusite, the crystals of which have the axis and angles colored differently from the remainder. See chiastolite.
- n. A tessellated appearance in other crystals.
- n. In heraldry, same as muscle, 3.
French, from Old French, lozenge, from Latin macula, mesh.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)