from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Judaism A nine-branched candelabrum used in celebration of Hanukkah.
- n. Judaism A ceremonial seven-branched candelabrum of the Jewish Temple symbolizing the seven days of the Creation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A holy candelabrum with seven branches used in the Temple of Jerusalem.
- n. A candelabrum with nine branches used in Jewish worship on Hanukkah.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A candlestick: specially applied to the seven-branched candlestick in the synagogue.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Judaism) a candelabrum with nine branches; used during the Hanukkah festival
- n. (Judaism) a candelabrum with seven branches used in ceremonies to symbolize the seven days of Creation
Hebrew mənôrâ; see nwr in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hebrew מנורה (m'norá). From the same Semitic root as minaret. (Wiktionary)