from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large decorative candlestick having several arms or branches.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A candle holder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lamp stand of any sort.
- n. A highly ornamented stand of marble or other ponderous material, usually having three feet, -- frequently a votive offering to a temple.
- n. A large candlestick, having several branches; also called candelabra.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In antiquity: A candlestick.
- n. A lampstand; a kind of stand used among the Romans to support a lamp or lamps.
- n. Any branched candlestick differing from a chandelier or bracket in resting upon a foot.
- n. A variety of arabesque in which a strongly marked vertical motive is present.
- n. plural In sponges, branching terminal spines.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. branched candlestick; ornamental; has several lights
Latin candēlābrum, candlestick, from candēla, candle; see candle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin candēlābrum ("candlestick"), from candēla ("candle"). (Wiktionary)