from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, cup-shaped quick bread, often sweetened.
- n. An English muffin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a type of flattish bun, usually cut in two horizontally, toasted and spread with butter, etc, before being eaten
- n. A type of rich individual cake containing chocolate chips, blueberries or some other flavouring.
- n. a mechanism used in the Java Network Launching Protocol analogous to the cookie mechanism and which permits a program running in a browser to perform operations on a client machine
- n. a term of endearment
- n. a vulva
- n. a less talented player
- n. a charming, attractive young man
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A light, spongy, cylindrical cake, used for breakfast and tea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A light round spongy cake, the English variety of which is usually eaten toasted and buttered.
- n. A small earthen plate.
- n. One who is given to muffing or acting clumsily in playing a game, but more particularly one who in cricket or base-ball fails to retain hold on a ball which comes into his hands. See muff, n., 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sweet quick bread baked in a cup-shaped pan
Possibly from Low German Muffen, pl. of Muffe, small cake, from Middle Low German.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
The origin is unknown. (Wiktionary)