from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make ineffective or invalid; nullify.
- transitive v. To rule out; deny. See Synonyms at deny.
- transitive v. Computer Science To perform the machine logic operation NOT gate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To deny the existence, evidence, or truth of; to contradict.
- v. To nullify or cause to be ineffective.
- v. To be negative; bring or cause negative results.
- v. To perform the NOT operation on.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deny; negative; make negative or null.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. deny the truth of
- v. be in contradiction with
- v. prove negative; show to be false
- v. make ineffective by counterbalancing the effect of
Latin negāre, negāt-, to deny; see ne in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin negatus, past participle of negare ("to deny, refuse, decline"), reduced from *nec-aiare (or a similar form), from nec ("not, nor") + aiere ("to say"). (Wiktionary)