from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person regarded as stupid or clumsy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An elf's child; a changeling left by fairies or goblins, hence, a deformed or foolish child.
- n. A person, especially a large male, who is clumsy or a simpleton; an idiot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Originally, an elf's child; a changeling left by fairies or goblins; hence, a deformed or foolish child; a simpleton; an idiot.
- n. A clumsy or awkward person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In popular superstition, a changeling; a foolish or otherwise defective child left by fairies in the place of another carried off by them.
- n. A dolt; an idiot; a blockhead; a simpleton.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward stupid person
Old Norse alfr, elf, silly person; see albho- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From auf, Old Norse álfr ("elf") ( > Norwegian bokmål alv). Akin to German Alb ("incubus"). (Wiktionary)