from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Left to choice; not compulsory or automatic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not compulsory; left to personal choice; elective.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Involving an option; depending on the exercise of an option; left to one's discretion or choice; allowed but not compulsory
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Left to one's option or choice; depending on choice or preference.
- Leaving something to choice; involving a power of choice or option.
- n. In the colleges of the United States, an elective study, or one left to choice; an elective.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. possible but not necessary; left to personal choice
Sorry, no etymologies found.