from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An important or self-important person: "a panjandrum of the publishing business” ( Nat Hentoff).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An important, powerful or influential person.
- n. A self-important or pretentious person.
- n. A massive, rocket-propelled, explosive-laden cart designed by the British military during World War II.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An imaginary personage of much power or pretension; a burlesque potentate, plenipotentiary, or Great Mogul.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an important or influential (and often overbearing) person
After the Grand Panjandrum, a character in a nonsense farrago written by Samuel Foote (1720-1777).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Coined as a nonce word in the 18th century by Samuel Foote. (Wiktionary)