from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ornamental trimming for a garment, as braid, lace, or metallic beads.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decorative piece of lace or other cloth on clothes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Trimmings, esp. of braids, cords, gimps, beads, or tinsel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Edgings and trimmings in general, especially those made of gimp, braid, or the like: often made with jet or metal beads: as, jet passementerie; plain passementerie (that is, without beading). See passement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a decoration or adornment on a garment
French, from passement, ornamental braid, cloth, from Old French, a passing, from passer, to pass; see pass.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the French passement, meaning 'decorative lace'. (Wiktionary)