from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small medicated or flavored tablet; a troche.
- n. A tablet containing aromatic substances that is burned to fumigate or deodorize the air.
- n. A pastel paste or crayon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A soft flavoured candy.
- n. A medicinal pill, originally compressed herbs. A throat pastille is a large candy-like lozenge, which, when sucked, releases oils to soothe a sore throat and sometimes vapors to help unblock the nose or sinuses.
- n. A small granular half spheroid piece of material.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See pastil.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a medicated lozenge used to soothe the throat
French, from Spanish pastilla, perfume pellet, and Italian pastillo, pastille, both from Latin pāstillus, little loaf, medicine tablet, diminutive of pānis, bread.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
The sweets are named after Italian confectioner Giovanni Pastilla who made them for Marie de Medici. (Wiktionary)