from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman's loose-fitting dressing gown.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A long outer garment for women, usually sheer and made of chiffon and often sold with matching nightgown, negligee or underwear.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman's loose dressing sack; hence, a loose morning gown or wrapper.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A loose dressing-sack worn by women, usually of washable material; by extension, a woman's dressing-gown or morning-gown; a wrapper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a loose dressing gown for women
French, from Old French peignouer, linen covering used while combing oneself, from peigner, to comb the hair, from Latin pectināre, from pecten, pectin-, comb.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)